About Us
The original church in Bulwell was medieval. It is believed to have been built in 1134 but there is no firm evidence for this.
  • A church in Bulwell is mentioned in 1203 when it was given by the King to Rott de Pickering for life.
  • The first service in English took place in 1549 during the reformation.
  • In the 1760s, extensive rebuilding of the church took place. Two aisles were added in 1766 and a rectory was built in 1772. A wall was built around the churchyard and a gallery was added. In 1800, the tile roof was replaced with slate and a tower was raised.
  • In the late 1840s it was decided to demolish the old church and build a new one. This work was started in 1850 and completed in 1851. The new building was consecrated by the Bishop of Lincoln.

The church was designed by the Derby architect Henry Isaac Stevens and built at a cost £3000. The church included a chancel, nave, aisles, and an embattled west tower.
Only two of the three bells of the old church survived. These were recast by Taylor of Loughborough and are part of a set of six bells that were installed in 1860.
 
  • The octagonal pulpit was installed in 1891. It is made of Caen stone, with small pillars of Derbyshire marble.
  • In 1899 a dedicated organ chamber was built at the east end of the south aisle.
  • In 1900 a reredos made of alabaster was placed behind the altar.
  • A new baptistery was built in 1956 and a new canopy was constructed for the font.
  • In the 1960s a number of improvements were made including an electrical heater, new oak altar rails, a vestry door and chancel paving
  • In 1964 a reredos was donated for the altar in St George's Chapel by Stanley and Olive Thomas. It is the work of Robert Thompson, the well known 'Mouseman' of Kilburn in North Yorkshire.
Justin Welby
Archbishop of Canterbury
Paul Williams
Bishop of Southwell & Nottingham
Andrew Fisher
Reverend for St Mary Church
a.j.fisher@outlook.com

Policies & Procedures

Quick Links

  • Facebook
  • Twitter
  • YouTube

Highbury Road

Bulwell

Nottingham

NG6 9AD

Vicar: Father Andrew: 0115 9755358

©2020 by St Mary the Virgin & All Souls Church.

Write To Us